The Year In Watches
The Watches team at Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo reflects on how they managed to maintain momentum throughout 2019, with multiple new world records and two "white glove" auctions.
The Watch That Shouldn't Exist, But Totally Does (Three Times Over)
A round pusher, Vichet-cased reference 2499 shouldn’t exist – but it does. In fact Patek Philippe made more than one. Through painstaking and extensive research, our team has found overwhelming evidence that there were at least three 2499s with round pushers produced by Patek Philippe made by the same casemaker, delivered to the same market, and with the exact same price.
Al Pacino and Martin Sheen on Marlon Brando
Two legends of the silver screen reflect on their fondest memories of their friend and fellow actor.
Highlight: Two Of The First Watches Called "Daytona"
Our New York-based specialist Isabella Proia looks at two of the earliest chronographs to bear the Daytona name on their dials, made during the first few years following the model's introduction in 1963.
Phillips Perpetual25 watches for sale
Price £45,000FollowFavorite lot
Sell with us.
Consign to an upcoming Watches sale.Submit Now
10 December 2019 • New York
The Hong Kong Watch Auction: NINE
26 November 2019 • Hong Kong
The Geneva Watch Auction X
10 November 2019 • Geneva
Double Signed: A Celebration of the Finest Partnerships Between Manufacturers and Retailers
9 November 2019 • Geneva
The Hong Kong Watch Auction: EIGHT
28 May 2019 • Hong Kong
News and Results
Press Release: 9 January 2020
Phillips is pleased to announce the appointment of Rika Dila as Senior Consultant, based in Bangkok. Ms. Dila will work closely with Phillips’ Watches, Jewellery and the 20th Century& Contemporary Art teams in Asia, to grow the company’s network of clients in Thailand, an increasingly important market in the region.
Press Release: 9 January 2020
Press Release: 10 December 2019
Led by the Urwerk AMC, Which Realized $2.9 Million
Marlon Brando’s Rolex GMT-Master Sells for $1.952 Million and Jack Nicklaus’ Rolex Achieves $1.22 Million, With Proceeds from Both Watches Benefitting Charity
Multiple Records Set for Models by Patek Philippe and Several Independent Makers
The Watches Department
Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo is the watch department at Phillips auction house, dedicated exclusively to the world's finest collectors' watches. Launched in November 2014 by Aurel Bacs and his partner, Livia Russo, the department was established in response to the ever-increasing need for today's collectors to easily access scholarship, guidance and quality across the board. The team of specialists at Phillips Watches is dedicated to an uncompromised approach to quality, transparency and client service, and, as a result, in just two years since launching achieved market leadership with sales of over $106 million in 2016.
With multiple world records, including for a wristwatch, Patek Philippe wristwatch, Rolex and Omega at auction, Phillips has become the undisputed worldwide market leader. Below are a selection of recent record-breaking prices.
1. Rolex reference 6239, Paul Newman's "Paul Newman" Rolex Daytona – WINNING ICONS – 26 October 2017 (US $17,752,500). Highest result ever achieved for a wristwatch at auction.
2. Patek Philippe reference 1518 in stainless steel – Geneva Watch Auction FOUR – 12 November 2016 (11,002,000 CHF / US $11,000,000). Highest result ever achieved for a Patek Phillipe wristwatch at auction.
3. Rolex "Bao Dai" reference 6062 (5,066,000 CHF / US $5,060,427) – The Geneva Watch Auction: FIVE – 14 May 2017.
4. Rolex "The Legend" reference 6263 (3,722,000 CHF / US $3,857,000) – The Geneva Watch Auction: FIVE – 14 May 2017.
5. Patek Philippe reference 2499 (19,720,000 HKD / US $2,538,000) – Hong Kong Watch Auction: TWO – 31 May 2016. Highest result ever achieved for any wristwatch sold at auction in Asia.
6. Omega "Tourbillon 30 I" prototype (1,428,500 CHF) – The Geneva Watch Auction: SIX – 12 November 2017. Highest result ever achieved for an Omega at auction....
Join the Watches Email List.
Sign up to receive emails about upcoming auctions, exhibitions and special events at Phillips.