The George Daniels Grand Complication, Explained By Roger W. Smith
The George Daniels Grand Complication, one of the last and most complicated pocket watches made by the late British watchmaker, will headline this Spring's Geneva sale. Ahead of the auction, Daniels' former protege, Roger W. Smith, a man who spent many years learning and perfecting the Daniels method by working alongside him on the Isle Of Man, remembers what it was like to work for the genius watchmaker and explains why The Grand Complication ranks as one of his seminal works.
The Phillips Watches Advisory Board: Who They Are And What They Do
Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. David Lou as a new member of its Advisory Board. We sat down with Lou and other board members to discuss what the Advisory Board does for Phillips, and why.
Well Suited: An Exhibition in Partnership with Thom Sweeney
We're partnering with Thom Sweeney, the British luxury menswear brand, to bring to market watches from the most talented independent makers. Find out which timepieces the brand's founders can't stop thinking about.
Specialist Picks: Five Watches Launched During SIHH 2019
Several watch manufacturers released their latest collections during the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie, the year's first watch fair. Our Geneva-based specialists were there to check out the new releases and pick out five that stood out.
Sell with us.
Consign to an upcoming Watches sale.Submit Now
News and Results
Press Release: 19 March 2019
Led by The George Daniels Grand Complication Pocket WatchRead more
Press Release: 14 March 2019Read more
Press Release: 4 March 2019
Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo is pleased to announce that Geoffrey Hess has been hired as a Consultant. Based in New York, Mr. Hess will support the Watch Department’s collaborations, events, sourcing, and new business initiatives.Read more
The Watches Department
Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo is the watch department at Phillips auction house, dedicated exclusively to the world's finest collectors' watches. Launched in November 2014 by Aurel Bacs and his partner, Livia Russo, the department was established in response to the ever-increasing need for today's collectors to easily access scholarship, guidance and quality across the board. The team of specialists at Phillips Watches is dedicated to an uncompromised approach to quality, transparency and client service, and, as a result, in just two years since launching achieved market leadership with sales of over $106 million in 2016.
With multiple world records, including for a wristwatch, Patek Philippe wristwatch, Rolex and Omega at auction, Phillips has become the undisputed worldwide market leader. Below are a selection of recent record-breaking prices.
1. Rolex reference 6239, Paul Newman's "Paul Newman" Rolex Daytona – WINNING ICONS – 26 October 2017 (US $17,752,500). Highest result ever achieved for a wristwatch at auction.
2. Patek Philippe reference 1518 in stainless steel – Geneva Watch Auction FOUR – 12 November 2016 (11,002,000 CHF / US $11,000,000). Highest result ever achieved for a Patek Phillipe wristwatch at auction.
3. Rolex "Bao Dai" reference 6062 (5,066,000 CHF / US $5,060,427) – The Geneva Watch Auction: FIVE – 14 May 2017.
4. Rolex "The Legend" reference 6263 (3,722,000 CHF / US $3,857,000) – The Geneva Watch Auction: FIVE – 14 May 2017.
5. Patek Philippe reference 2499 (19,720,000 HKD / US $2,538,000) – Hong Kong Watch Auction: TWO – 31 May 2016. Highest result ever achieved for any wristwatch sold at auction in Asia.
6. Omega "Tourbillon 30 I" prototype (1,428,500 CHF) – The Geneva Watch Auction: SIX – 12 November 2017. Highest result ever achieved for an Omega at auction.
Join the Watches Email List.
Sign up to receive emails about upcoming auctions, exhibitions and special events at Phillips.