Posted 02 February 2021
PT Seasonal Art Handler
Phillips is the destination for international collectors to buy and sell the world’s most important contemporary works of art. By focusing specifically on the defining aesthetic movements of the last century, we’ve set ourselves apart as the most dynamic and forward-thinking auction house. Our considered approach and specialized knowledge lead clients to seek our guidance on contemporary collecting trends. This finely-honed expertise is evident in all aspects of our business, from the caliber and quality of our sale catalogues, events and exhibitions, to a superior level of individualized client service. Headquartered in New York and London, with offices throughout the world, Phillips conducts sales in a select number of categories: 20th Century/Contemporary Art, Photographs, Editions, Design, Watches and Jewelry. Additionally, our core art business includes special exhibitions, private sales, advising private estates and corporate clients, museum services, and consulting. Phillips currently has a Part-Time Seasonal Art Handler opportunity available.
This position is responsible for Ensuring the safe and timely preparation of works of art for display, exhibition and transport.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Installing and de-installing artwork in galleries and storage areas
• Storing artwork safely in warehouse
• Loading/unloading trucks; moving crated/packed works throughout the galleries and warehouse
• Packing/unpacking artwork for shipment
• Assisting in preparing galleries for display/exhibition by spackling, light painting, etc.
• Assisting in framing and unframing of two dimensional artworks and mounting of three-dimensional works of art
• Assisting in making assessments concerning the safety of works and taking necessary action to secure artworks
• Assisting photographers during shoots
• May assist in the construction of new or retrofitting previously constructed crates
• Disposing of materials and unused crates in warehouse and galleries
• Assisting with special events, including acting as a viewing assistant which requires neat appearance and interaction with clients
• Performing other ad-hoc duties as requested
Professional Skills and Experience
• 3 years’ experience in an auction house, internationally recognized gallery or museum, required
• Working knowledge of and experience with various packing methods suitable to a wide range of media, required
• Working knowledge of and experience with installation methods suitable to a wide range of media, required
• Audio/Visual skills, preferred
• Basic electrical skills including wiring, preferred
• Finish carpentry skills, preferred
Education and Training
• Bachelor of Arts, preferred
• Fine Arts background, preferred
• Ability to work professionally and responsibly with all other areas within the business
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Punctual and proactive with excellent organizational skills
• High degree of time and resource management skills with the ability to work under pressure and prioritize to meet strict deadlines
• Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks
• Work is undertaken in our Long Island City warehouse and Park Avenue galleries
• Requires local travel between locations to install artworks
• Weekend and evening work as required
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header "Part-Time Seasonal Art Handler". Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.