Posted 02 August 2022
FALL EDITIONS INTERN
FIVE MONTH INTERNSHIP – Phillips is currently seeking an organized and motivated individual to fill a fixed-term, five-month internship in the Editions department, beginning August 2022 and ending in December 2022.
The primary focus of the internship will be to gain insight into the day to day operations of a specialist department. We welcome candidates with a specific interest in Modern and Contemporary Prints and Multiples. Interns will have a chance to be trained in Phillips’ systems and research procedures in order to directly contribute to the department.
By assisting our Editions team during the pre-sale period before our fall sales – successful applicants will benefit from this unique opportunity for professional development through hands-on experience in the art industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will have the opportunity to assist the department at every level in the following ways:
· Organizational tasks to help the sale administrators throughout pre and post-sale processes.
· Work closely with department on a variety of research projects.
· Learn to use print catalogue raisonnés.
· Assist with research in our Phillips Editions library.
· Assist with research in NYC libraries.
· Write academic and engaging essays for online content to support the sale.
· Assist with digital filing and organization
· Compile auction data for departmental reports.
· Track and record a variety of auction sale details and results.
· Participate in auction-day roles for any fall sales, across all departments.
· Ad-hoc research projects on specific artists and galleries.
Professional Skills and Experience
· The ideal candidate will have a passion for fine art with specific interest in Prints and Multiples. They should have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks while working to meet strict deadlines.
· The internship is three days per week scheduled Monday through Friday, 9 am to 6 pm, with flexibility to work on weekends during sale deadlines. Interns are paid at minimum wage in New York.
Education and Training
· Must be current college students seeking a Bachelor’s degree, or college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree.
· Interest in Editions & Works on Paper.
· Interest in writing and research.
· Strong communication skills.
· Highly organized, team player.
· Attentive to detail.
· Willingness and desire to learn and ask questions.
· Strong work ethic with effective time management; ability to multi-task, take initiative and work well independently.
· Must be based in the New York area and able to come into our offices on Park Avenue.
· Work is undertaken primarily within an office environment in our New York location We are currently operating both in-person and remotely.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary.
· Newly hired staff must be fully vaccinated by their start date. Applicants unable to comply with this policy due to an underlying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may be eligible for an accommodation, unless such an accommodation would be unduly burdensome or present a direct threat to the applicant, our employees, or the members of our greater community.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected].