Posted 13 June 2022
SENIOR SHIPPING MANAGER
The primary responsibility for this position will be to provide leadership, guidance and support to the Hong Kong Shipping Team, overseeing the shipping of art, jewels and watches, whilst being responsible for assisting internal sales departments and Phillips’ clients with the administration and customer service activities relating to the transportation and storage of artworks and collectibles worldwide.
Qualified candidates will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, a strong ability to multi-task and a customer service mindset.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the local shipping team, and work with global shipping teams, to ensure smooth and cost-effective shipping services for the company and our clients, globally and locally.
- Develop and manage relationships with global shipping vendors; source the highest quality shipping services at the most cost-effective rates for the company and our clients.
- Prepare shipping estimates for both inbound and outbound property.
- Lead and coordinate local transport, art handling, packing, crating services, warehouse activities and inventory.
- Book airfreight, ocean freight and art shuttle shipments.
- Responsible for all import/export licenses, CITES permits, arts council applications and documents necessary for global transport.
- Prepare estimates and oversee shipments for traveling exhibitions.
- Manage and coordinate large consolidated consignments for both air and ocean freight transfers.
- Oversee and assist in any Phillips shipping matter that requires experienced oversight and management.
- Track all costs for all Department Sales Runners.
- Perform general administrative tasks.
- Be proactive in troubleshooting any shipping matters for specialist departments and the shipping team.
- Collaborate with the Head of Gallery Programing, and other specialists and functional departments on streamlining pre-and post-sale logistics.
- Act as the point of contact in Hong Kong for all new hire induction procedures ensuring a thorough introduction to all shipping processes and systems.
- Ensure all 3rd party shippers follow Phillips standards including condition reports when collecting and receiving property.
Professional Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience dealing with international logistics and shipping.
- Complete working knowledge of and experience with import and export documentation and filings.
- Experience with MS Office Suite and Outlook.
- Preference for experience in auction house or luxury industry.
- Fluent English and Chinese spoken and written language essential.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Innate sense of cost awareness and ability to make sound financial decisions.
- Strong, positive interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to work professionally and responsibly with clients and Phillips colleagues in all areas within the business.
- Proactive with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize to meet strict deadlines with adaptability to handle time-sensitive shipments and last-minute scheduling.
- Excellent time and resource management skills with the ability to multi-task and work autonomously in a team-based environment.
- Excellent client relations and customer service skills including confidence, tact and diplomacy for both internal and external clients.
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly and responsibly.
- Excellent project management and presentation skills.
- Work is primarily undertaken in our Hong Kong office with attendance at the warehouse as required.
- The candidate must be flexible with regard to work schedules and weekend hours and be willing to work at all auctions and events.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected].