Posted 20 April 2022
SUMMER INTERNSHIP – Phillips is currently seeking an organized and motivated individual to fill an internship in the Photographs department, beginning June 2022 and ending August 2022. For a successful candidate, an option may exist to extend the internship through the fall season, ending in December 2022.
Based in our New York Headquarters at 432 Park Avenue, the primary focus of the internship will be to gain insight into the day-to-day operations of a successful international auction house. We welcome candidates with a specific interest in Photographs. Interns will have a chance to be trained in Phillips’ systems and research procedures to directly contribute to the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will have the opportunity to assist the department in the following ways:
· Aid with organizational tasks to help the Sale Administrator leading up to sale deadlines
· Work with Cataloguer, where appropriate, on research projects including trips to libraries, museums, and galleries
· Record sale results for Photographs auctions
· Complete ad-hoc research projects on specific artists and galleries including trips to libraries in the city
· Compile data into appraisals and proposals to assist with business-getting
· Assist with general administrative functions for Photographs department
Professional Skills and Experience
· The ideal candidate will have a passion for fine art with specific interest in Photographs and working at an auction house. They should have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks while working to meet strict deadlines.
· The internship is 3 days per week, specific days to be agreed upon, 9am to 6pm. Interns are paid at minimum wage.
Education and Training
• Graduate students preferred. Must be current college seniors seeking a Bachelor’s degree, or college graduates with a Bachelor’s degree.
• Interest in Photographs
• Strong communication skills
• Highly organized, team player
• Attentive to detail
• Willingness and desire to learn and ask questions
• Strong work ethic with effective time management; ability to multi-task, take initiative and work well independently
· Work is undertaken primarily within an office environment in our New York location. (currently operating remotely with in-office work as needed)
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
· Newly hired staff must be fully vaccinated by their start date. Applicants unable to comply with this policy due to an underlying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may be eligible for an accommodation, unless such an accommodation would be unduly burdensome or present a direct threat to the applicant, our employees, or the members of our greater community.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header "Internship, Photographs". Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.