Posted 15 March 2022
SENIOR SPECIALIST, 20TH CENTURY AND CONTEMPORARY ART
Acting as a Senior Specialist in the 20th Century and Contemporary Art Department in Hong Kong this position will be responsible for contributing to all aspects of auctions including business getting and cataloguing. This position is also responsible for evaluating artworks, bringing in consignments, selling artwork and cultivating relationships with clients across the globe including collectors, dealers, curators and others in the market with an aim to come to commercial transactions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Source and evaluate property for potential inclusion in all sales, negotiating contracts when appropriate, working collaboratively with other specialist colleagues to set estimates and sales terms for works to be offered in order to realise auctions with high levels of connoisseurship and profitability.
- Lead on all aspects of the production of the catalogues for sales including producing original content for catalogue essays, entries and footnotes for the cataloguing of individual works and assist with the graphic layout and flow of the sales.
- Assist in developing a long term sourcing strategy for Asia with a focus on building a short, mid and long term pipeline of property.
- Assist with major collection valuations and proposals for consignments, working with other senior members position Phillips as a premier platform from which to sell the 20th Century and Contemporary Art.
- Participate in and assist with planning for exhibition set up.
- Oversee the creation of accurate and representative condition reports for all works on offer.
- Participate actively in all presale exhibitions, with a focus on face-to-face client contact, to promote and sell the sale.
- Collaboratively assist in the selling of all sales, working with colleagues to focus their clients on specific works of interest and to brainstorm possible sales strategies.
- Cultivate networks among collectors, dealers, curators and others in order to develop and maintain best-in-class knowledge of the 20th Century and Contemporary Art market.
Professional Skills and Experience
- 10+ years’ experience performing similar duties in an auction house or internationally recognized gallery or museum.
- Deep academic and market knowledge of both Western and Asian 20th century and Contemporary Art with the ability to carry on eloquently in verbal as well as written communications to a wide variety of audiences.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History or related field is preferred. Master’s degree in Art History or related field is plus.
- Chinese language (Cantonese and/or Mandarin) is preferred.
- Driven self-starter with a proven ability to initiate business.
- Excellent client-relations and presentation skills including confidence, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work professionally and collaboratively with all other areas within the business.
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly and responsibly.
- Proactive with excellent project management and organisational skills
- Ability to operate with grace under pressure while delivering the top-notch work on tight deadlines.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected].