Posted 11 November 2021
Acting as a Cataloguer in the Watch Department in Hong Kong this position will be responsible for leading the research and cataloguing for all watches sales. , Assist the Head of Watches, Asia and Specialists with any other tasks as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Catalogue all objects allocated to Hong Kong watch sales. Source provenance, exhibition history and literature via internal and external research, as needed.
- Responsible for producing academic texts and sourcing quotes for confirmed watches, as needed.
- Proof all cataloguing and essays in the sale catalogues and ensure the style guide is adhered to.
- Create detailed selling packs using both market and academic research where relevant.
- Draw up the saleroom condition reports.
- Assist in the evaluation of property for potential inclusion in departmental sales, working collaboratively with specialist colleagues to set estimates and sales terms for works to be offered in order to realize auctions with high levels of expertise and profitability.
- Participate actively in all pre-sale exhibitions, with a focus on face-to-face client contact, to promote and sell the sale.
- Assist with major collection valuations and proposals for consignments, working with senior members of the team to position Phillips as a premier platform from which to sell watches.
- Cultivate networks among collectors, dealers, curators and others in order to develop and maintain best-in-class knowledge of the watch market.
- Attend local and regional events including exhibition openings, retail events and watch fairs to represent Phillips.
- Perform any other duties as requested.
Professional Skills and Experience
- In-depth academic and market knowledge of Watches
- Ability to communicate eloquently and professionally with a wide variety of audiences using both verbal and written communication.
- Excellent essay / academic writing skills
- Excellent client-relations and presentation skills including confidence, tact and diplomacy.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Fluent Cantonese, Mandarin and English essential. Other languages desirable.
- Driven self-starter with a proven ability to initiate and gain business
- Ability to work professionally and collaboratively with all other areas within the business
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly and responsibly
- Proactive with excellent time management and organisation skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm under pressure while delivering a high standard of work on tight deadlines.
- Work is undertaken within an office environment with travel off-site as requested
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
- Some travel required