Posted 15 September 2021
Bids & KYC Coordinator
To support and assist with all Bids tasks in the lead up to and during each live Hong Kong auction season, to process all online only auction registrations for HK-based sales, and to maintain thorough KYC records for all clients participating in Hong Kong-based auctions.
During non-auction periods, this role is responsible for researching, inputting, and retrieving object information for 20th Century & Contemporary Art Object Intelligence for Asia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the International Bids & Auctioneer Operations Director and the rest of the Europe & Asia Bids Team, based in London, in the lead up to and throughout all live Hong Kong auctions to ensure smooth operation of the Bids Department.
- Work closely with the Bids & Catalogues Manager, Online Sales, Europe & Asia, to monitor and process all registrations for online-only auctions based out of Hong Kong, including Gallery One.
- Provide on-the-ground Bids support to the specialist departments in the Hong Kong office, to answer bidding and sale registration questions.
- Receive phone calls and e-mails for the Bids Department in Hong Kong, responding to basic questions in a polite, professional, and timely manner.
- Register telephone and absentee bids for live auctions upon submission. Check bidder registrations against the database to ensure records are accurate; updating and following up as needed.
- Monitor Phillips’ online bidding platform for all Hong Kong based auctions, requesting additional information and registering bidders as necessary.
- If and when necessary, support online sale registration for online only auctions taking place in other sale locations.
- Create new accounts in the database for new bidders wherever necessary, adhering to Phillips’s common practices.
- Assist in the auction room with various clerking roles during live auctions, if and when necessary.
- Troubleshoot problems for both clients and colleagues throughout both live and online only sales.
- Liaise with specialist departments prior to the sale to provide information on bidders and interest levels.
- Assist with post-sale tasks, including underbidder entry.
- Assist worldwide Bids Team with Chinese-language translations.
- If necessary, assist with subscriptions and reports relating to published auction material, including catalogues for the Hong Kong Watch auctions.
- Actively review all online registrants to ensure full KYC is on file prior to bidding approval, particularly in relation to Gallery One.
- Use Phillips’ AML monitoring systems to check all registered bidders, and liaise with the International Bids Directors, Legal, and Phillips’ external AML consultant to review any potential risks.
- Following all Hong Kong-based auctions – both live and online only – review the list of successful buyers to confirm if full KYC is on file, and where it is not, work with the specialist departments and client contacts to obtain the missing documentation.
- Work closely with the Account Creation and Client Development teams to ensure a high level of data accuracy and maintenance of Phillips’ client records.
- Ensure all object information originated from Asia Client Development and specialists is complete and searchable in Phillips’ systems.
- Actively input, clean, expand, maintain, and manage information on TCA objects in Phillips’ database, ensuring accuracy for search, extraction, and future reference.
- Retrieve in-depth intelligence on objects and create bespoke reports on objects from Phillips’ database using criteria directed by specialist and Client Development to support pipeline and selling.
- Build a comprehensive understanding of Phillips’ systems and flag issues, development and usage requirements to Digital Product Owner and escalate to development team where required.
- Share department best practices to ensure standards and expertise knowledge is upheld.
- Adhere to rigorous research and inputting methodologies to ensure quality, consistency, and relevance of all department object data.
- Manage and support pipeline business by ensuring all object information is entered in the database including any relevant estimates and valuations (single or multiple objects).
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge of objects known to the department to contribute to client and pipeline reviews held by Client Development and sales teams.
- Develop object focused presentations to support pricing and immediate business getting.
Professional Skills and Experience
- Previous bids/auction experience.
- Strong written and verbal English and Mandarin language skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- High level of aptitude and experience with data collection and analytics.
Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Art History background
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and in high pressure situations.
- Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with a wide variety of people including superior written and spoken communication.
- Ability to prioritise effectively and adjust as necessary.
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually on own initiative.
- Ability to learn Phillips’s internal processes and systems.
- Computer literate.
- Proactive and self-motivated; demonstrated ability to work independently on long-term projects.
- Work is primarily undertaken in our Hong Kong office space.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected].