Posted 27 August 2021
PT SEASONAL OPERATIONS ASSISTANT
To assist the operations department at the 450 Park Avenue Gallery and as needed at the Southampton Gallery with exhibitions, auctions and events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install – Light spackling and sanding of all gallery and office walls, touch up painted walls, paint and place plinths per curator direction, chase cabling and electrical wires, focus exhibition lighting, move exhibition cases , maintain a clear and risk-free gallery at beginning and end of each day.
- Deinstall - Remove hanging hardware and lot cards from wall, patch, sand and touchup walls, remove and wrap plinths, wrap exhibition cases for trucking transport, remove and install gallery window banners, remove vinyl on windows and walls.
- Auction Setup - Move auction furniture from storage to Auction Room and place following installation maps and guidelines, install carpet, layout chairs, hang TVs and cameras, focus lighting, patch and touchup, put away ladders and carts, bring catalogues to registration desk, distribute water bottles and glasses to phone bank, chase cabling, remove packing material and other debris from gallery.
- Auction Takedown – Wrap and move auction furniture from Auction room to storage, remove carpet, remove TVs and cameras, hang new window banners, remove vinyl. Return all galleries to default setting: freshly painted cleared gallery with even washed lighting.
- Event Install – Assist the Event Technician with installation of carpeting, sound system, lighting, furniture, bars, signage, AV/IT equipment, on-call throughout event.
- Event Deinstall – Return gallery to default setting or to exhibition setting under the direction of the Event Technician.
Professional Skills and Experience
• 3 years’ experience in an auction house, internationally recognized gallery or museum, required.
• Working knowledge of and experience with various packing methods suitable to a wide range of media, required
• Working knowledge of and experience with art gallery and event installation methods suitable to a wide range of media, required
• Audio/Visual skills, preferred
• Basic electrical skills including wiring, preferred
• Basic carpentry skills and knowledge of basic power tools, required
• Basic knowledge of painting and wall repair, required
• Specific carpentry and wall preparation skill, preferred
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts, preferred.
- Fine Arts background, preferred
- Ability to work professionally and responsibly with all other areas within the business including an office setting.
- Ability to lift 50–70 pounds
- Punctual and proactive with excellent organizational skills.
- High degree of time and resource management skills with the ability to work under pressure and prioritize to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks
- Ability to problem solve with a large group and work as a team under direction of a manager.
- Work is undertaken in our Park Avenue gallery with flexibility to work in the Southampton gallery as may be required
- Weekend and evening work as required
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header "PT Seasonal Operations Assistant". Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.