Posted 02 July 2021
Acting as a Cataloguer in the Jewelry department in New York, this position is primarily responsible for cataloguing and contributing to all aspects of the catalogue production process for Jewellery Sales for New York. This position will also be responsible for supporting the specialists to produce Jewellery appraisals/valuations. This position will also work with the Head of Department and Senior Specialists to support selling the New York sales and Jewellery auctions worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Collaborate with department members to catalogue all sales, including essays, and footnotes. Support, as requested by the Head of Department, all aspects of sale production.
· Work with the Head of Department and Senior Specialists to complete condition reports for all lots.
· Schedule and work with Photographer and others to ensure all lots for sale meet the digital initiatives of the department.
· Work with the Head of Department and other specialists to support all aspects of appraisal administration for potential collections for sale.
· Run administrative errands such as liaising with laboratories, workshops and lapidary services to prepare lots for auction.
· Undertake competitor analysis to temperature check the regional market on an ongoing basis.
· Work with the Business Development Manager to support the Head of Department and Specialists to develop pre and post-sale CRM activities for buyers and vendors.
· Support all selling activities for the New York Jewellery sales by working with colleagues to focus their clients on specific lots of interest and brainstorm possible sales strategies.
· Work with the department sale coordinator to maintain inventory checks and property tracking on an ongoing basis
· Support and coordinate the department social media and marketing initiatives by liaising with various teams within Phillips.
· Participate actively in presale exhibitions with a focus on face-to-face client contact, to promote and sell each auction.
· Attend local and regional events to represent Phillips.
· Participate in telephone bidding with clients during auctions.
· Perform other duties as requested.
Professional Skills and Experience
· A basic understanding of jewelry including periods, metals, hallmarking, manufacturing techniques, stone identification, counting and weight estimation with the ability to carry out verbal and written communication, with clarity, to colleagues and clients
· Excellent client-relations and presentation skills including confidence, tact and diplomacy.
· The ability to maintain focus and composure in a high pace environment
Education and Training
· 3 years of experience performing similar duties in an auction house or in the jewelry trade, required
· Associated Jewelry qualifications, required
· Language skills in addition to English, preferred
· GIA Graduate Gemologist diploma, preferred
· Ability to work professionally and collaboratively within the team and in all other areas within the business.
· Obtain high standard of integrity and ability to handle confidential information discreetly and responsibly.
· Proactive with excellent project management and organizational skills.
· Ability to operate with grace under pressure while delivering excellent work product
· Work is undertaken primarily within an office environment in our Park Avenue location.
· Travel is required, subject to applicable travel advisories (active driver’s licence is preferred)
· Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header "Jewelry Cataloguer ". Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.