Posted 24 June 2021
INTERNSHIP, 20TH CENTURY DESIGN
FIVE MONTH INTERNSHIP – Phillips is currently seeking an organized and motivated individual to fill a fixed-term, five-month internship in the 20th Century Design department, beginning in August 2021 and ending in December 2021
Based in our New York Headquarters at 450 Park Avenue, the primary focus of the internship will be to gain insight into the day to day operations of a successful international auction house. Interns will have a chance to be trained in Phillips’ systems and research procedures in order to directly contribute to the departments.
By assisting our teams during the pre-sale period through the Design sale the, successful applicant will benefit from this unique opportunity for professional development through hands-on experience in the art industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will have the opportunity to assist the department at every level in the following ways:
· Organizational tasks to help the sale administrator throughout post and pre-sale processes.
· Work closely with Cataloguer and Specialists on research projects on specific collections and works of art to prepare them for valuation.
· Assist with research in NYC libraries.
· Assist with filing, organization, scanning, and mailings.
· Write academic and engaging essays for auction catalogues.
· Compile data into appraisals and proposals to assist with business-getting.
· Record sale results for Phillips sales and our competitors.
· Participate in auction-day roles for any spring sales, across all departments.
Professional Skills and Experience
· The ideal candidate will have a passion for modern and contemporary Art and Design. They should have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal effectively and efficiently with multiple tasks while working to meet strict deadlines.
· The internship is a minimum of three days per week from 9 am to 6 pm with the potential for fulltime (five days per week) temporary employment. Interns are paid at minimum wage in New York.
Education and Training
· Must be at least a third or fourth-year college student seeking a Bachelor’s degree or a college graduate with a Bachelor’s degree.
· Interest in 20th Century Design preferred but not required.
· Strong communication skills.
· Highly organized, team player.
· Attentive to detail.
· Willingness and desire to learn and ask questions.
· Strong work ethic with effective time management; ability to multi-task, take initiative and work well independently.
· Work is undertaken primarily within an office environment in our Park Avenue location. (team is currently working a combination of remote and onsite, as determined by business need)
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please use the subject header "Internship, 20th Century Design". Please be advised: due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.