Posted 02 March 2021
Acting as Specialist and Head of Sale in the Photographs Department in London, this senior level position will be primarily responsible for business getting and selling for London Photographs sales, while growing and cultivating networks among collectors, dealers and other experts in the photographs market with an aim to facilitate commercial transactions.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Meet individual business-getting target as allocated by the Department
· Evaluate property for potential inclusion in Photographs sales, working collaboratively with specialist colleagues to calibrate estimates and sales terms for works to be offered in order to realise auctions with high levels of connoisseurship and profitability
· Assist with major collection valuations and proposals for consignments, working with senior members of the Photographs team to position Phillips as a premier platform for selling photographs
· Support the Photographs team in meeting catalogue deadlines by researching property, writing scholarly essays and other texts, assisting with layout and proof reading
· Collaboratively sell the Photographs sales, working with Client Development and specialist colleagues to target buyers, create specialised selling plans where relevant and brainstorm possible sale strategies
· Participate actively in pre-sale exhibitions with a focus on face-to-face client contact to promote and sell the sales
· Cultivate networks among collectors, dealers, advisors and other experts in the photographs market in order to develop business relationships that lead to commercial transactions
· Conduct annual insurance appraisals
· Develop and expand private sales transactions
· Attend local and regional events, including gallery openings, museum events and art fairs to represent Phillips, acquire primary pricing intelligence and maintain best-in-class knowledge of the photographs market
· Telephone bid in Photographs sales and sales for other departments
· Respond promptly to all client communication with accurate, complete information
· Line management responisbility for the Administrator & Cataloguer
· Spearhead the estimate request process and billing, working collaboratively with team
· Manage and drive all aspects of catalogue production – work collaboratively with team and Creative
· Service to provide support with cataloguing, condition reports, research, writing essays/notes and proofing
· Oversee departmental marketing and advertising, including video, digital content and social network
· Create targeted selling plans for the sale, liaising with Client Development and specialist colleagues
· Perform any other ad-hoc duties as requested
Professional Skills and Experience
· Deep academic and market knowledge of post 1940s photographic art with the ability to carry on eloquently in verbal as well as written communications to a wide variety of audiences.
· Established high-end client base
· Driven self-starter with a proven ability to initiate business and track record of success.
· Excellent client-relations and presentation skills including confidence, tact and diplomacy.
· Ability to work professionally and collaboratively with all other areas within the business.
· Obtain high standard of integrity and ability to handle confidential information discreetly and responsibly.
· Proactive with excellent project management and organizational skills.
· Ability to operate with grace under pressure while delivering excellent work product.
Education and Training
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, required
· Master’s Degree in a related field, preferred
· Significant experience gained performing similar duties in an auction house or internationally recognized gallery or museum
· Significant experience as a Line Manager
· Gallery experience, preferred
· Language skills in addition to English, preferred
· Based in Berkeley Square, London, with international and domestic travel required
· Flexibility to undertake additional hours on evenings and weekends, during catalogue deadlines as well as pre-sale exhibitions and sales, being essential
Please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected]. Please use the subject header ‘Specialist, Photographs’.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and backgrounds best fit the needs of the open position
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to [email protected].